Back in the 70′s, my high school was invaded by scores of studio movie trucks and trailers. They pretty much took over our track & field area for what I believe to be a week to 2 weeks. You see, I went to John Marshall High School in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles, California and they filmed the carnival scene that appeared at the end of the movie at this location.
As a side note, John Marshall High School has been used for other movies, television series and commercials throughout the years, such as, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Boy Meets World, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Boston Public and Transformers, to name a few.
The grassy area of the field was dotted with carnival rides, a fun house, people and cars.
For those of you who are reading this post who have not heard of the movie Grease, it starred John Travolta & Olivia Newton John and was released in 1978. It was a musical about two lovers in a 1950s high school.
One of the more recognizable songs from the movie (You’re the one that I want) was filmed at the school during the carnival scene and was sung by John Travolta & Olivia Newton John. According to a web source, it took a half a day to film this one sequence.
Olivia Newton John’s black spandex pants are alive and well (thank you very much). She brought them to show Oprah during her interview at the famous Sydney Opera House in Australia. The following link shows those famous pants that Olivia Newton John wore during the carnival scene. http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Memorable-Moments-Australia-Adventure-Finale/8
If you’re into movie ‘Goofs’, I’ve listed several here that I got from IMDB.com. If you want to see the whole list or want more movie details about the movie, follow this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077631/
- Anachronisms: The jukebox in the diner is a 1973 Wurlizter 1050 (which copies the design of the famous 1015), yet movie is set in 1959.
- Continuity: In the diner, Vai turns off the lights with her elbow, despite missing the switch by six inches.
- Boom mic visible: The boom mic is reflected in the jukebox when Danny tells Sandy he has an image to protect. (In the just-released Rydell High edition (10/06), the boom mic has been digitally erased).
- Continuity: When Frenchie is about to pierce Sandy’s ear, the bottle of wine switches between Jan and Sandy in between shots.
- Continuity: Sandy’s “R” streamer on her sweater at the pep rally.
- Revealing mistakes: Marty’s kneepad exposed when sliding at the end of the big dance.
- Continuity: In the closing number, “We Go Together,” Doody and Frenchy switch places between the lines, “When we go out at night/And stars are shining bright.” Also, the blonde guy to the left of them goes from a sitting position to a standing position in the same error.
- Audio/visual unsynchronized: In the final sequence while singing “You’re the One That I Want,” Danny and Sandy spin twice in the amusement park walk through (The Shake Shack). On the second twirl, you can tell that it is not perfectly in sync with the music.
- Continuity: As Rizzo being escorted into the dance hall by the leader of the Scorpions, he removes his sunglasses. In the next shot, we see him remove them again.
- Continuity: During Summer Nights, Rizzo’s shades repeatedly jump between her face and her hand between shots.
For more details, visit wikipedia.com: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Marshall_High_School_(Los_Angeles,_California)
The photos of the carnival scene included in this post were obtained from the following website: